Brief Profile of Prof. Isaac Ipara Odeo
Prof. Isaac Ipara Odeo is an Associate Professor of Kiswahili language education. He started his formal education at Soy Primary School in Uasin Gishu County. After his secondary education at Bishop Delaney Memorial School in Eldoret and “A” levels at Chesamisi High Schoool he proceeded to the University of Nairobi where he graduated with Bachelor of Education (Arts) honours degree in 1978. He attained a Master of Education degree from Kenyatta University in 1986, before being awarded the degree of Doctor of Philosophy of Moi University in 2003.
Prof. Odeo has taught and carried out research in Kiswahili language and literature education, as well as sociolinguistics and higher education. To date he has several publications to his credit including:
- Charles N. Moochi, Margaret Barasa, Isaac P.O. Ipara, Ogata B. Rose and Anakalo Shitandi. 2013.“Performance Differences and Gender in Kiswahili Creative Writing: A Case Study of Selected Secondary Schools in Nyamira County, Kenya. Journal of Pan African Studies, Vol.6, no. 4, September 2013. P62352/the-journal-of-pan-african-studies-online
- Odeo, I.I. Curriculum in Kiswahili Education. In Otunga, R.N., Odeo, I.I. and Barasa, L.P. A.2011. Handbook for Curriculum and Instruction. Eldoret: Moi University Press.ISBN 9966-854-65-7
- Odeo, I.I., Wando, D., Barasa, P. and Omulando, C. Instructional Methods. In Otunga, R.N., Odeo, I.I. and Barasa, L.P. A. 2011. Handbook for Curriculum and Instruction. Eldoret: Moi University Press. ISBN 9966-854-65-7
- Odeo, I. I. Terminologies in Tertiary Kiswahili Teacher Training Institutions in Kenya. In ogechi Nathan(Ed) 2011. Themes in Language, Education and Development in Kenya. Nsemia Inc, Publishers. Ottawa: Canada. ISBN 978-1-926906-06-5
- Ipara, I.O., Burudi, J. and Wakesho, N. I. 2010. Upeo wa Sarufi. Nairobi: Oxford University Press.ISBN 978 019 573560 4
- Kaduguda, R., Kiango, J. & Ipara, I. 2009. Kiswahili Shule za Sekondari Kidato cha Pili. Dar es Salaam: Oxford University Press.ISBN 978 9976 4 0170 7
- Ipara odeo and Mbori Bob. “The Role of Kiswahili in Enhancing the Potential of Science and Technology”. The Journal of Pan African Studies, vol. 2, no. 8, March 2009. Pp.139-150. P62352/the-journal-of-pan-african-studies-online
- Ndiku J. Mwaluko, Muthamia Hellen, Ipara Odeo and Obaki Samuel. “Adult Education Learners’ recruitment: Challenges and prospects for re-engineered access to adult education in Kenya”. Educational Research and Review Vol. 4 (7), July 2009. pp.
- Odeo, I.I., Simiyu, A.M. and Mukwa, C. W. 2008. “Oral Questioning in the Pedagogy of Kiswahili Grammar in Secondary Schools in Kenya. Journal of Science, Technology, Education and Management (J-STEM) of MMUST Vol. 2 pp.134-145. ISSN 1991-2889
- Kiango, J.G., Lodhi A.Y. Ipara I. and Nassir A. 2007 Kamusi ya Shule za Msingi. Oxford University Press.ISBN 978 019 573306 8
Prior to his current administrative appointment, as Principal, he served as Chairman of Department of Language and Literature Education and later Director of a School Open Learning and Continuing Education at Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology. He has and still supervises and examines graduate work in various universities in Kenya and within the East African region. Among the most recent assignments he did was a review of the B.A. Kiswahili Programme for the University of Dar es Salaam. The report was submitted on 12th March, 2014.
Prof. Odeo has also served as a consultant for several organizations. He is a member of various professional bodies among them Chama cha Kiswahili cha Taifa (CHAKITA), Kenya and Chama cha Kiswahili cha Afrika Mashariki (CHAKAMA) where he served as Vice Chairman and Chairman from 2007 to 2011. His current areas of interest include language pedagogy and governance in higher education institutions.
For the two years he has been at the helm of leadership at KIBUCO, he has faced many challenges and learnt many lessons. One of the major lessons he has learnt is that to cope with the exigencies of the world today one must embrace dialogue and master the 21st Century Skills. According to Institute of Museums and Library Services (21st_skills_list.aspx ) these skills roughly include:
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Creativity and innovation
- Communication and collaboration
- Leadership and responsibility
- Cross disciplinary thinking
- Information, media and technology skills
- Life and career skills