Dr. Obino Paul
Director, Research, Consultancy and Extension
The University’s vision, mission and core values demonstrate the importance placed upon Research, Consultancy and Extension activities within the University. Indeed, one of the major functions of the University is to “participate in the research, transmission and preservation and enhancement of knowledge and to stimulate the intellect participation of students in the economic, social, cultural, scientific and technological development of Kenya”.
To actualize this broad vision, the University established the Directorate of Research, Consultancy and Extension (RC&E) within the Academics Division with the following Objectives:
- Establish a framework for quality research
- Develop and sustain research and publication culture
- Implement research findings
- Establish links with local and international partner institutions
- Develop mechanisms to undertake consultancy activities and extensions services
To realize these objectives set for research, consultancy and extension, the following strategies will be employed:-
- Promote the role of the University as a primary source of research through exchange programmes and strong university-industry linkages
- Utilize the skills of the University staff to undertake all forms of research that contribute to the advancement of knowledge, cultural and social development, preservation of the environment and economic growth by employing qualified researchers
- Develop portfolios of research that are of county, national and international relevance by training of research teams on proposal development and dissemination of research findings at country and national level
- Maintain cohesive plans and effective management policies and practices that foster excellence, support individual projects and thematic research, encourage interfaculty research co-operation, and ensure the highest ethical standards and quality in research and creative work through seminars and workshops
- Work to increase external funding and support for research and creative work through publicity and writing proposals for funding
- Protect, develop and exploit the intellectual property developed in the University by implementing the Intellectual Property Rights policy
- Promote research-based learning and enhance scholarship by reviewing the curriculum
- Place a high priority on excellence in research and innovation through recognition and reward systems
- Increased admission of staff and students through marketing and provision of scholarships
- Promote research teams and collaborative partnerships with other tertiary institutions, research institutions, public agencies and the private sector, at the county level, national level and internationally through linkages and extension
Priority Areas for Research, Consultancy and Extension
The University Research, Consultancy and Extension services shall focus, but not limited to the following areas:
- Water Resources;
- Environmental Conservation and Management;
- Weather and Climate;
- Technological Innovations and Applications;
- Services among others.
On going Research
Research: To demonstrate its commitment to research, the University has deliberately funded an on-going research project on the “Origin and Development of Kibabii University” This is an initiative of the college to bring to light and document its origin and history as an institution.
We remain vigilant for Research opportunities because we believe we have the necessary capacities and competencies, particularly in the aforementioned areas.
Kibabii University Research, Consultancy and Extension office organized for a successful one day seminar on 30/10/2015 to share its research finds on two research projects that the University undertook recently. The two projects include: (i) Origin and development of Kibabii University (ii) Performance of primary schools in Bungoma County
Kibabii University College Research team led by Dr. Obino pays a courtesy call to Vihiga County Deputy Governor on 15th October 2015. The University has joined a Research and Development Consortium that brings together Maseno University, Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology and Kisii University spearheaded by panel of Eminent Development Consortium (PEDEC) and hosted by Vihiga and Nyamira County Governments
Kibabii University led by Deputy Principal in charge of Academic, Research and Extension (Prof. S Shibario meet Kenya Seed Company Management led by Head of HR Mr. Stephen (Malakwen) on 14th july 2015 at the company offices in Kitale. The Two institution are working on an MOU in Research, Training, Membership and Other areas of common interest.
Dr. Obino, Coodinator, Research, Consultancy and extension attending a presentation at the NACOSTI Innovating Research Exhibition 11-15th May 2015 at chancellors Court. Nairobi of University